Arrive at 10 am as we brew freshly ground coffee and make introductions. There will be AGA toast of course, homemade butter and the chance to try our award-winning marmalade. Then it will be time to pop your aprons on and we will start kneading and baking.
During the day we will…
- Discuss the differences between using fresh and dried yeast
- Show the benefits of using a stand mixer compared to kneading by hand
- Make a list of the kitchen equipment needed for the best results
- Compare a wide range of flours available to the home cook
- Demonstrate the differences between an everyday loaf and enriched recipes
- Prepare and bake a basic white loaf or English muffins, a wholemeal loaf and Easter buns
- Create a batch of homemade fresh cream butter
A light, vegetarian lunch will be included along with refreshments throughout the course. You will also take home a recipe file and some of the bakes that we have made together during your baking session.
The class will draw to a close at 3.30 pm when we will sit down together to enjoy a pot of tea and homemade cake, there will be time to answer any remaining questions and an opportunity to explore the garden before your journey.
What is included?
- Arrival coffee and unlimited refreshments during the class.
- A combination of ‘hands on’ cookery and demonstration in a small group (maximum four guests)
- You will take home – freshly baked rolls or buns and a recipe folder including hints and tips for your bread making. Please bring a suitable container for your rolls.
- This baking class is ideal for beginners and home cooks who wish to improve their baking skills. We will be cooking beside the AGA in the farmhouse kitchen but conventional methods will also be available. All of the recipes described above will be included during the day. However, depending on the group size and ability we may need to adjust the format which will be a combination of ‘hands on’ and demonstration.
- Following your day at All Hallows you are always welcome to keep in touch and contact us with any further baking questions.
This event is perfect for a group. Gather your friends together and we will create a day especially for you.