Our History

We have traced a settlement or farm at name Opewinburne or Obpe Winborna as long ago as 1086.  Records also show that the village was thought to be in the ownership of William the Conqueror’s Granddaughter, Queen Maltida at this time.

A Norman foundation of the Church at All Hallows is noted in the St Giles Historical chart dating back to 1100.  At this time the patron of the church was the Abbess of Tarrent.

Nowadays you could be forgiven for passing through All Hallows without even realising, but records show that this sleepy lane leading away from of Wimborne St Giles was a village in its own right.   During its occupation it has been known as Wimborne AllHallows, Wymborn Carentham (or Karentham) and Wimborne All Saints.

In the days of Wymborn Carentham (around 1291) it was home to the ‘mother church’ and the place of worship in the neighbouring village of Wimborne St Giles was referred to as the Chapel of St. Giles.  At this time the Rectory of Wymborn is thought to have been vast but soon afterwards its patronage was divided and shared between the Matravers and the Fitzalans jointly and the Abbess of the Convent of Tarent.  Then when the Dissolution occurred the second share was passed to the Crown.

In 1732 the fourth Earl of Shaftesbury exchanged the patronage for Loders with the intention of consolidating the Rectory to Wimborne St Giles.  Shortly afterwards the church at Wimborne All Hallows was demolished and the only buildings that remained was the farmhouse and surrounding yard, along with the church platform and graveyard. The peals of both Churches were re-cast and a the new peal was installed into St.Giles Church.





With grateful thanks to Francis and Robert at the Museum of East Dorset.