We are thrilled to be collaborating with Long Crichel Bakery and to be offer complimentary two day courses. Escape to our pantry and join us on day one for a combination workshop of ‘hands on’ cookery and demonstrations to develop your pastry and dessert skills.
We have tailored a course especially to compliment a following day of baking at The Famous Hedgehog Bakery. Join Lisa Osman in the farmhouse kitchen for a cookery class beside the AGA.
This course is designed with beginners in mind and during this seasonal class we will make
- Pate Brisee – We will make a Dorset Blue Vinny and caramelised onion tart . Explore how to use rich butter pastry in savoury and sweet dishes. Use free range eggs and learn how to calculate the quantities for a savoury custard.
- Rough puff pastry – Tart Tatin. Collect apples from our orchard, learn to select the best varieties for this classic dessert. Make a simple caramel sauce as well as a batch of rough puff pastry.
- Choux pastry – Gougere as a canape. The festive season will be here before we know it! Practise your piping skills and add this versatile pastry to your repertoire. Learn how to make a batch of great tasting nibbles from scratch and have them safely stored in the freezer for unexpected guests.
- Meringues – We make a batch of meringues for you to take home and you can try your hand at rolling a meringue roulade. A quick and easy dessert that makes a great store cupboard standby.
- Preserves – Visit the cutting garden and discover the fruit cage. Pick some Autumn Bliss raspberries and Lisa will demonstrate making a seasonal jam. From garden to pot in less than 30 minutes.
- Genoise sponge – Swiss Roll with homemade jam for afternoon tea. Impressive and easy – once you know how!
Testimonials from our late spring and early summer class in May –
‘I came home very much enthused! It was a great day for me on Friday – so many firsts.’ – Andrew from Dorset
‘Definitely will return – learnt so much.’ – Lisa from Wiltshire